Church of the Good Shepherd - Table of Contents
CHANCEL - Church of
96 Jewett Pkwy. at Summit, Buffalo, NY
Church of the Good Shepherd - Official Home Page
Chancel: The space around the principal altar of a church for the clergy and choir, often separated by a screen or railing from the body of the church
The altar is of dark polished oak, richly carved, the front in three panels, divided by shafts, with capitals of lilies and passion-flowers.
Tiffany Studios was hired to make the windows. Tiffany personally designed the 1888 Good Shepherd window showing Jesus with a spider web design haloing his head to indicate God in nature. This window became a memorial to the parish founder, Elam R. Jewett, given by his nephews and nieces.
The center light represents the Good Shepherd carrying two lambs, and with His flock around Him; the side lights are vine tracery with grapes and birds in the richest colors in conventional designs. The head, hair and neck of the figure, delicate in coloring and an exquisite example of portraiture are all on one section of glass.
The two side windows are filled with a convention grape vine design, glowing with jewels and rich color.
Altar ... Blind arcade
Oak ... Spandrels decorated with lilies ... Cross pattées above Roman (smooth shaft) Ionic columns
Cross pattées and grape vines
Brass altar railing detail ... Note fleur-de-lis, which, due to its three "petals," is sometimes used to represent the Holy Trinity.
- 1977 Church of the Good Shepherd Nomination for City of Buffalo Landmark Status, edited by Alison Fleischmann
- A Century in the Fold: A History if the Church of the Good Shepherd, by Ellen W. Parisi, 1988