Church of the Good Shepherd - Table of Contents

EXTERIOR - Church of the Good Shepherd
96 Jewett Pkwy. at Summit (SE), Buffalo, NY

Architects:

Initial plans by Silsbee and Marling.
In 1888 the scheme was reworked by Marling and his new partner, Herbert C. Burdett (1855- 1891), a former assistant in the office of H. H. Richardson

Erected:

1887 - Church.
1890 - Rectory.
1891 - Guild House containing Children's chapel.
1922 - Jewett Memorial Hall.

The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd was consecrated on May 21, 1888. Construction had begun a year earlier, and the first service was held on March 4, 1888.

Status:

Buffalo Landmark
Parkside East Preservation District

Architectural Style:

Richardsonian Romanesque
The church recalls Richardson's small libraries, especially the Ames Library in North Easton, Mass.
Prominent features of the church, which has a seating capacity of 200, are low, limestone walls and the massive tower with its short, broad spire.


2004 color photos

Original architect's drawing for Ingersoll Memorial Chapel by Silsbee and Marling


Rectory and church






View towards southwest    ...  
Richardsonian Romanesque style



Cross pattée at top of gable roof    ...   Loopholes   ...   Dentil molding   ...  
Tower copper pyramidal roof    ...   Modillions   ...   Voussoirs over rounded windows in belfry



Cross pattée at top of gable roof    ...   Loopholes   ...   Dentil molding   ...  
Onondaga limestone   ...   The Parkside area was known as Flint Hill, a reference to the flint/chert in the Onondaga limestone that lies slightly below the surface. For example , see "Flint Hill and the War of 1812"



Main entrance



Onondaga limestone    ...   The Parkside area was known as Flint Hill, a reference to the flint/chert in the Onondaga limestone that lies slightly below the surface. For example , see "Flint Hill and the War of 1812"



Facade bay  to left of entrance porch   ...  
Voussoirs over rounded windows   ...   Water table


North transept Tiffany windows



View from porch looking southwest




View from porch looking northwest:  Martin House






 Southwest:  facade and west transept




Richardsonian Romanesque tower and belfry



Copper pyramidal roof   ...     Belfry



Front entrance porch



Corbel    ...    Romanesque  clustered columns



Corbel     ...   Romanesque  capitals



South transept Tiffany window:  Purity




South elevation


Left window detailed below



Terra cotta roof tiles and ridge tiles




One of two Tiffany floral windows




Sources:


Special thanks to Rev. David Selzer, rector of the Church of the Good Shepherd, for his cooperation and assistance
Photos and their arrangement © 2004 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.