Table of Contents ..........................
Clarence Hollow Chronological History
and information culled from the Historic
Resources Intensive Level Survey: Clarence, NY
1791 Robert Morris bought WNY lands from Massachusetts
1792-93 Holland Land Company buys land from Robert Morris
1797. Theophilus Cazenove, ......., contracts Joseph Ellicott to survey the land ...... tot
1799 "Great Survey" is completed
1799. Joseph Elliott named chief land agent.
1799. Asa Ransom ........ takes possession of 150 acres - the earliest settlement in Clarence territory.
1801. Elliott arrives and opens land office.
1801. Asa Ransom establishes a saw mill on Ransom Creek
1803. Ransom builds a grist mill (mill for grinding grain into flour)
1807. Asa Harris, a Revolutionary War colonel, constructs a ..... along Buffalo Road (later renamed Main street) - today Harris Hill
1808 Town of Clarence, named from the English House of Clarence, established - the oldest township in Erie County, formed from Niagara County. Township originally comprised of all all present-day northern Erie County, including the city of Buffalo and towns of Amherst, Alden, Lancaster and Newstead.
1811. First general store a opens
1808-18111. Post office established
1811-1813. Houses rebuilt in Adamesque Colonial style.
1813. Second tavern built
1813. (Harris Hill serves as a refuge to many Buffalonians who are driven out by the British in retaliation for the burning of present-day Niagara on the Lake during the War of 1812.)
1816. Territory post office moved to Clarence Hollow
1825-1860. Clarence Hollow prospers because Buffalo is the Erie Canal terminus.
1830. Second physician settles in the Hollow
1834. Methodist Church built
1836. Presbyterian Church built.
1842. Ransom's original mill rebuilt by new owners
1859. German Reformed Church organized in the Hollow, utilizing a structure built earlier for the Seventh Day Baptists
1864. Additional physicians tested up practice
1864. Cabinet-maker and shoe-maker settle
1875. Lime kiln (a kiln in which limestone is burned or calcined to produce quicklime established
1887. German Reformed Church rebuilt
1895-97. Ransom's grist and saw mills rebuilt
1897. Gothic style German Methodist Church built
End of the 19th century:
2 general storesEarly 20th century. Trolley from Buffalo and Williamsville extended to Harris Hill
1 hardware store
1 grist mill
1 saw mill
1 basket factory
1 Union school