Greek Revival - Table of Contents
American Athens: Greek Revival
Architecture In Western New York State
By James Battaglia
Since 1971 I have taught English in the Williamsville Schools in Amherst, NY. Outside of my work, my chief interests are field botany and photography. In both avocations I am self-taught. However, I have attended classes in botany at the Buffalo Museum of Science, and studied photography with Paul Bauer at the Creative Craft Center, State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo, and with Nancy Stuart of the Rochester Institute of Technology at the Visual Studies Workshop (Rochester). All of my photographs are printed by me in black and white.
In 1989, several friends and I founded the Western New York Old- growth Forest Survey, and, in 1994, I prepared an exhibition of my photographs depicting sixteen old-growth Forest Survey, and, in 1994, I prepared an exhibition of my photographs depicting sixteen old-growth woodlands discovered and described by the survey. Photographs from the Western New York Old-growth Forest Survey enjoyed eight exhibitions in and outside western New York.
In 1997, I completed a second collection of my photographs entitled American Athens: Greek Revival in Western New York State. This collection appeared at the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society from March to May 1999, and traveled to the Genesee County Museum and village from June to October 1999 and to the Link Gallery at Rochester City Hall from January to February 2000. Future exhibitions are planned for the Dyett Gallery, SUNY at Buffalo, School of Architecture and Planning from October 30, 2000 to November 22, 2000, and the Olean Library Art Gallery, as yet unscheduled,
Currently, I am the volunteer site manager of the new Counterfeiter's Ledge Nature Preserve, a project of the Central/Western New York Chapter of the Nature Conservancy, photographing draft horses and planning several botanical projects.
James Battaglia - Exhibitions
Photographs from the Western New York Old-growth Forest Survey
- Buffalo Museum of Science, Humboldt Parkway, Buffalo, NY 14211: February 14-April 16, 1995.
- Roger Tory Peterson Institute, 311 Curtis St., Jamestown, NY 14701: January 15,1996- February 11, 1996.
- Kenan Center Art Gallery, 433 Locust St., Lockport, NY 14092: June 23, 1996 - July 21,1996.
- Cummings Nature Center of the Rochester Museum and Science Center, Naples, NY 14512: September 1,1996 -November 10, 1996.
- Runge Nature Conservation Center, 2901 West Truman Boulevard, Jefferson City, MO 65102: January 1,1997- February 28,1997.
- Buffalo and Erie County Public Library, Central Library, Lafayette Square, Buffalo, NY 14203: April 1, 1997- May 5, 1997.
- Earl W. Brydges Public library, 1425 Main St., Niagara Falls, NY: June 31, 1998- August 31,1998.
- Genesee Country Museum and Village, Nature Center, P.O. Box 310, Mumford, NY 14511: June 5, 1999- October 16, 1999.
American Athens: Greek Revival Architecture in Western New York State
- Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society, 25 Nottingham Court, Buffalo, NY 14216: March 17, 1999- May 16, 1999.
- Genesee Country Museum and Village, Nature Center, P.O. Box 310, Mumford, NY 14511: June 5, 1999-October 16, 1999.
- Link Gallery, Rochester City Hall, 30 Church St., Rochester, NY 14614: January 4, 2000- February 15, 2000.
- James Prendergast Library Art Gallery, 509 Cherry St., Jamestown, NY 14701: September 15, 2000- October 20, 2000.
- Dyett Gallery, SUNY at Buffalo, School of Architecture and Planning, South Campus, Buffalo, NY 14215: November 1, 2000- November 26, 2000.
- Olean public Library Gallery, 134 North Second St., Olean, NY 14760: February 2, 2001- March 2, 2001.
Other Solo Exhibitions
- Selected Photographs -James Battaglia. SUNY at Buffalo, North Campus, Capen Hall, Amherst NY 14221: July- August 1997.
- Buffalo Past and Present. Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society, 25 Nottingham Court, Buffalo, NY 14216: November 1997.