School No. 70
Indian Park Academy
76 Buffum Street, Buffalo, New York
Click on photos for larger size
|Associated Buffalo Architects Inc.|
Date of Initial Construction
See also: Highlights of Buffalo's History, 1922
Historical and Architectural Importance
|The Classical Revival style
building is typical of schools built in Buffalo from 1921 to 1930. The
use of an E-type floor plan, which anticipates future additions without
compromising the original architectural design, is characteristic of
schools built by Associated Buffalo Architects Inc. The Association, a
collective of local architects, was organized in 1920 with Charles S.
Wood as President. Such prominent Buffalo architects as Edward B. Green, Duane Lyman, Frederick Backus and Max Beierl were members, assisting in the
collaboration on each school building design. The Association
contracted with the Board of Education for the design and supervision
of school building construction. From 1921 to 1925 the Association
constructed public schools no. 3, 11, 31, 45, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70 and
Bennett High School.
The first building to be located on this site was constructed in 1836 and was known as the Seneca Mission House. The school served the Seneca Indian Reservation and was demolished in 1922.
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
|The school building is located on the north side of Buffam Street between Silverdale Place and Fields Avenue. The residential south neighborhood is composed of two story frame houses on narrow lots. Seneca Indian Park is located across Buffam Street to the southeast. The Buffalo city line is to the southeast with the Town of West. Seneca lying beyond.|
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
|The school building is a two
story, three bay brick structure with Classical Revival styling. A two
story, three bay wing extends east and west of the main block. The
E-type plan is surmounted by a flat roof. The structure has a low stone
basement level with brick facing, the principal elevations in a Flemish
bond style. The first floor of the main block is dressed in stone
The main block features a Classical Revival style center entrance with double doors and eight light transom enframed by a stone architrave surround. Engaged Ioniccolumns flank the entrance and support end frieze blocks and a crowning cornice. The second floor window over the entrance has paired 4/4 light windows with stone cornice surround accented by a bull's eye medallion in the frieze and side volutes. Window fenestration consists of four 6/6 light windows with stone cornice surrounds at the second floor level. A stone cornice surmounts the main block.
Window fenestration in the east and west wings consists of tripart windows; paired 6/6 light flanked by single 6/6 light. A stone continuous lintel caps the second floor windows. Flanking the main block are narrow 4/4 light windows.
|Stone, Brick, Concrete|
|Buffalo News, March 26, 1936; "Report of the Buffalo School Survey," Buffalo Municipal Research Bureau, 1931.|