Statler Hotel - Table of Contents..........................E. M. Statler - Table of Contents

Statler Hotel - Exterior
107 Delaware Avenue. Northeast corner of Delaware at Niagara Square

Architect:

George B. Post & Sons
(who also designed
Erie County Savings Bank)

Interior designer:

Louis Rorimer

Style:

Renaissance Revival

Erected:

1921-1923

TEXT Beneath Illustrations

Postcards













Historic Photo






2003 Photos
unless indicated otherwise

Photo taken May 2008   ...   Far right:  Walter J. Mahoney State Office Building    ...   Center foreground:  McKinley Monument



White trim is terra cotta






Terra cotta  finials



Entablature:   Cornice supported by block modillions   ...   Triglyphs in frieze   ...   Drops underneath triglyphs on architrave   ...  
Brick pilaster






Balustrades   ...   Dentils   ...   Rounded windows with fanlight  transoms   ...   Keystones carved with acanthus leaves



Entablature:   Cornice supported by block modillions   ...   Triglyphs in frieze   ...   Drops underneath triglyphs on architrave   ...  
Brick pilaster   ...   Scroll buttress



Scroll buttress



Terra cotta  coquillage


Foliated terra cotta panel   ...    Keystone supporting cornice   ...   Eared window surround



Foliated terra cotta panel with guttae



Broken pediment with cartouche   ...  
Keystone supporting cornice    ...   Eared window surround


Keystone in window surround



Rusticated stones   ...  
Broken pediment with cartouche   ...   Keystones supporting cornices



Balustrade   ...  
Rusticated stones






Balustrade





George B. Post and Son designed the Statler Hotel at 107 Delaware Avenue. Many hotels erected nationally by Ellsworth M. Statler followed. The presence of the Renaissance Revival Statler at Niagara Square (where it replaced the Hollister-Fillmore house/Hotel Fillmore/Castle Inn) accelerated the commercial development that gradually overtook the two-mile stretch of Delaware Avenue between downtown and North Street.

Smith Salisbury, editor, owner and publisher of the Buffalo Gazette, the city's first newspaper, also lived on property that has been included in the Hotel Statler site. The first location of Bryant and Stratton's Business college was covered, too, by the towering hotel.

By 1919, when Statler decided to erect his nineteen-story hotel - said to have been the largest building in the state outside of New York City - there were twenty-four businesses along lower Delaware Avenue.

History of the site:


Photos and their arrangement 2003 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.