Westminster Presbyterian Church - Table of Contents
724 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY
In 1903, the sanctuary was renovated by Tiffany Studios who stenciled Christian symbols in gold throughout: 13 around the chancel arch, 11 in the chancel, and 66 on wall panels.
Redecoration included the church windows and the electroliers.
The interior architecture was changed from Romanesque Revival to to English Tudor Gothic. Note, however, that the painted art work by Tiffany Studios is Art Nouveau style, a substyle, many would say, of Arts & Crafts.
In 1954, the Tiffany Studios-stenciled Christian symbols were painted over, but in 1992, Christian symbols around chancel arch and chancel were restored by Ingersoll Painting & Construction. Further, the walls and panels of the Sanctuary were brightened with a rich textured patina "red" with a golden "ochre" for the upper sections and, finally, the ceiling finished in a medium blue with stenciling to complement wall colors.
Stained Glass Windows
From 1931-1952, new Gothic-style windows were installed, replacing the handsome but plain Tiffany windows. The first window was contributed by the Richmond family.
Audio: John McClive, Holmes Chapel
Suggestion: Open a second window, access this page, listen to the audio, and click on windows that are described in the audio.
John McClive, Linking With the Comos in Sacred Places Correlates Westminster's art treasures with Gothic history
Chancel and nave in English Tudor Gothic style. Note pulpit at left of chancel and baptismal font at far left.
In 1992, the ceiling was finished in a medium blue with stenciling to complement wall colors. ... Roof is supported by hammer beam ceiling.
Chancel half-round apse, originally designed by Tiffany Studios, was restored in 1992. Note center stencil between the double Tudor arch. Ceiling was also repainted in 1992 restoration.
Detail from previous photo - center stencil between the double Tudor arch
IC / XC / NI / KA: IC XC are abbreviations (in both Greek and Slavonic) for the name Jesus Christ. . NIKA is a Greek verb that means “conquers” (perhaps “is victorious” is better, though not as grammatically accurate).
Stencils on chancel half-round apse and between the double Tudor arch were originally designed by Tiffany Studios in 1903 and restored in 1992
Detail from previous photo - stencil between the double Tudor arch
Cross on apse wall
Oak chancel wainscoting is ornamented with Venetian Gothic style arches ... Oak altar is ornamented with quatrefoil arches
Chancel wainscoting is ornamented with Venetian Gothic style arches ... Needlepoint cushions on benches
Communion table is ornamented with quatrefoil arches
1872 marble baptismal font
Detail - 1872 marble baptismal font
1967 pulpit, with bas-relief wood carving by Adlais Hardin
Pulpit detail - Good Samaritan
The 1903 rounded Romanesque style stained glass windows designed by Tiffany Studios were replaced by pointed Gothic-style windows, 1931-1952
1992 covered Tiffany Studios stencils between stained glass windows
1992 covered Tiffany Studios stencils
1903 electrolier designed by Tiffany Studios
View of nave and choir loft from the altar