The passage below is an excerpt from
of the Schoellkopf-Vom Berge Manor
by Julie Robinson Hazzan
The second family to reside at 121 Chapin lived in
the home for over 30 years. Mr. James H. McNulty and his wife Harriet, originally
from Chicago, had relocated to Buffalo in 1902, where Pratt & Lambert built its
main plant. They had moved the principal office from New York City to Buffalo. Mr.
McNulty became president of Pratt & Lambert in 1917.
Mr. and Mrs. McNulty's first residence in Buffalo was 116 Oakland Place. They
took residence at 121 Chapin in 1924. The family also owned a summer home, Oak Crest,
in Lake View, NY.
Mr. McNulty was a well-respected leader in the community, guiding Pratt Lambert during
his tenure as president. An article on James McNulty noted, "Probably among
all of his interests, the University of Buffalo was nearest his heart. His leadership
in its behalf, in its reorganization and in its drive for its $5 million endowment
to build a College of Science and Arts on the University campus, endeared him to
the whole community."
James McNulty was a member of The Buffalo Club, the Country Club of Buffalo, The
Ellicott Club, Wanakah Country Club, Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences, and the
Lake Shore Hunt Club. He also maintained memberships at the Chicago Athletic Club,
Seaview Golf Club and the Engineer's Country Club of Long Island.
Mrs. McNulty was active in various civic organizations, and served as president
of the Women's Board of Millard Fillmore Hospital. She was active in Westminster
Presbyterian Church and served as a trustee of the First Church of Evans, near her
After her husband's untimely death in 1926, Harriet McNulty maintained memberships
at the 20th Century Club, Country Club of Buffalo, Wanakah Country Club and Buffalo
Most notable, however, is the fact that at a time when few women were present in
board rooms anywhere in the United States, much less in the board room of a large
industrial firm, Harriet McNulty became a member of Pratt & Lambert's board of
directors at the time of her husband's death and remained a board member for 23 years.
Mr. & Mrs. McNulty had three daughters:
- Mrs. Robert E. Dillon (Marion Alice)
- Mrs. Burton F Wilkinson (Elizabeth)
- Mrs. Willcox B. Adsit (Harriet)
All three daughters attended The Buffalo Seminary, followed by the completion
of education at Miss Porter's School, in Framington, Conn.
At the time of James McNulty's death in 1926, a tribute noted that his interests
were large and varied, but he made few appearances before the general public. In
1927, Mrs. McNulty and her daughters, in memory of James, established an endowment
at UB, and also provided a fund to assist needy students at The Buffalo Seminary.
In addition, the family made a gift in Mr. McNulty's memory to Children's Hospital
for a nursery.
Mrs. McNulty stayed in the home until her passing in 1956.