Linwood Avenue - Table of Contents
Linwood Avenue History
Buffalo, New York
Linwood Avenue, which runs from North Street on the
south to Delavan Avenue on the north, was originally named Miller Street after
the Jacob S. Miller family who created the city's first livery service.
The improvement of Linwood Avenue took place in the 1880s, largely through the initiative of Edward B. Smith. Smith was a speculative builder who often commissioned architects, such as Silsbee and Marling and F. W. Caulkins, to design dwellings here. At the juncture of Franklin and Linwood he planned a park joining the two streets into a continuous thoroughfare. This wide, tree-shaded boulevard became a street of substantial middle-class homes, and in 1886 the "Real Estate and Builders' Monthly" remarked that "beautiful Linwood Avenue bids fair to rank with Delaware as a residence street in this municipality."
These houses were built around the turn of the century as part of the greatest building boom the city had seen. Residences were spreading out from the city's center at a rapid rate. It was an easy walk, for residents much more used to walking, to downtown, and the location was near Forest Lawn cemetery and Delaware Park, the big green spaces which constituted the northern extent of Buffalo. Horse drawn trolleys were in service for those who did not wish to take their carriages downtown.
Page by Chuck LaChiusa in 2002
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..
web site consulting by ingenious, inc.