DL&W / NFTA Depot and Repair Shop - Table of Contents

DL&W Train Shed
(N.F.T.A. Depot and Repair Shop)

South Park and Main Streets, Buffalo, NY

Painting by Bettie Y. Zoschke
9 1/2" X 14 1/2"

Original Owner:

DL&W (Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad)
The original station of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad stood adjacent to this current site for more than 80 years.

Current Owners:

NFTA (Niagara frontier Transportation Authority)

Current name: N.F.T.A. Depot and Repair Shop (1990)




Kenneth M. Murchison (NewYork City architect )

Architectural Features:

  • Elevated rail approach
  • Two-story reinforced concrete structure

Brick Addition:

1982, by NFTA

The two-story reinforced concrete train sheds on the Buffalo River at Washington St. are virtually all that is left in Buffalo of the old Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad.

The sheds, completed in 1917, were part of a passenger, freight, and commodity complex that gave the railroad practical control of the inner harbor from the westernmost point of Erie Basin to Ohio and Michigan streets, a distance of almost three-quarters of a mile. The rights of way, and previous DL&W warehouses on the site, dated from the 1880s.

Train tracks were actually elevated, with freight storage and a Railway Express office located in the ground-level entry into the train shed basement, which currently serves as a storage and maintenance facility for light rail rapid transit cars. A brick addition by the NFTA dates to 1982.

- Text source: Buffalo's Waterfront: A Guidebook, by Timothy Tielman

Page by Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..