St. Paul's - Table of Contents

2003 Photos
Chancel - St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral
139 Pearl Street, Buffalo, NY
TEXT
Beneath Illustrations

The Ascension window was designed and fabricated by Henry Holliday & Co. of London, England at a cost of approximately $3,000, and was installed in 1889.

Resurrection, Crucifixion, and Institution of the Eucharist windows designed and fabricated by by the Henry Wynd Young Studio in 1928.


For additional Chancel photos, see 2009 Ascension Stained Glass Window Above the Main Altar in the Chancel and 2009 Five Chancel Windows by the Henry Wynd Young Studio


Click on photos for larger size -- and additional information

1884 ..... Richard Upjohn

Robert W. Gibson

Chancel

Painted wood pointed Gothic ceiling

       

Ascension

Ascension

Ascension

Ascension

Ascension: Stained glass window above the altar.
Designed and fabricated by Henry Holliday & Co. of London, England in 1889.

Ascension: Symbols for the four evangelists

Ascension: ngel with censer (incense vessel)

Ascension: Angel with censer (incense vessel)


Ascension

Ascension

Ascension


       

Reredos mosaic

Reredos mosaic

Reredos mosaic

Reredos mosaic

Chancel

Reredos mosaic

Reredos mosaic

Reredos mosaic

       
       

Detail - Resurrection

Detail - Crucifixion

Detail - Institution of the Eucharist

Hand carved oak choir stall

Hand carved oak choir stall

Chancel aisle Mosaic

Mosaic



Chancel: The space around the principal altar of a church for the clergy and choir. The sanctuary is the immediate area around the principal altar.

The chancel includes the sanctuary and an area for clergy and choir. Often, it is separated by a screen or railing from the body of the church. In St. Paul's there is a hand carved wooden railing separating the chancel from the nave.

In 1850, the old frame church (erected in 1819) was sold to the German Evangelical Church. The 1851 replacement church was designed by Richard Upjohn. That church was almost entirely destroyed by fire caused by a natural-gas explosion in 1888. The restored church was designed by Robert W. Gibson. In Gibson's design, the chancel was deepened by 13 feet, and terminated, not in lancet windows, but in as single large window with stone tracery work.

The window above the high altar, designed by Holiday & Co. of London, depicts the Ascension of our Lord with the eleven faithful Apostles and the Blessed Virgin gazing upward at the ascending Christ. Angels with censers (incense vessels) and symbols for the evangelists also appear above.

In 1960, the the chancel area was renovated, the organ console moved, and the choir seating area enlarged.


Caption sources:


See also:


Except for the the first photo on the page,
photos and their arrangement 2003
Chuck LaChiusa
.| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index...| .. E-Mail ...| .

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.
.