Poland - Table of Contents ................ Architecture Around the World

Piarist Church
(Pronounced "PEE a rist)
ul. Pijarska, Cracow (Krakow), Poland




Francesco Placidi



TEXT Beneath Illustrations

Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Rococo style

Two broken pediments

3 pairs of pendant bellflowers on paneled pilasters

2 pairs of Ionic pilasters

Center bust and paired urns function as acroteria

Wrought iron door gives the illusion of perspective depth

Wrought iron C and S scrolls decorate Rococo style balustrade

Piarist: Order of Poor Clerks Regular of the Mother of God of the Pious Schools or, in short, Piarists.

The teaching order was founded by Joseph Calasanz, also known as Calasanctius or José de Calasanz, in Rome in 1597.

The first Piarists (Hungarian and Polish Fathers) arrived in the United States in 1949. The first Community was formed in the diocese of Buffalo, NY, in 1950. The Calasanctius School for gifted children opened at 176 Windsor Avenue in Buffalo, NY, in 1957. The school closed in 1991.

The Community moved to Derby (Graycliff) in1951. The House at Derby was closed in 1999. At Graycliff, the noted Polish muralist Jozef Slawinski (1905-1983) created a sgraffito mural of St. Joseph Calasanctius. The mural has been moved to Buffalo State College on the north elevation of the Butler Library.

See Piarist history in the U.S.

Photos and their arrangement © 2008 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.