Illustrated FURNITURE Glossary ..... .....William and Mary style
William and Mary trumpet-leg highboy
On display in 2005 at the Fairmount Park Woodford House, Philadelphia
- William and Mary highboys
- 2-piece high chest with flat, molded, slightly overhanging top
- Upper section: 4 tiers of graduated drawers: a top tier of 3 small drawers over 3 full-length drawers, all framed by single arch molding.
- Lower section: shallow, rectangular center drawer flanked by 2 deeper, square drawers
- Protruding molding joins 2 sections
- Skirt deeply valanced with two drops
- 4 trumpet-turned legs
- Flat, scrolled X-stretcher.
- Bun feet
- Pulls: brass plates with bail handles. Escutcheons: matching brass.
- c. 1700-25