University at Buffalo - Table of Contents

An Illustrated Early History of the University of Buffalo
1846 - The University of Buffalo Charter is granted by the New York State Legislature
- Became State University of New York at Buffalo
University at Buffalo - Official Website

Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Dr. James Platt White, in 1846, was instrumental in obtaining from the state legislature a charter for the University of Buffalo, which opened its doors in the following year as a medical college. He taught the first class of eighty-nine men as professor of obstetrics.

See Dr. White's
memorial window, The Repose in Egypt, in Trinity Episcopal Church.

First Baptist Church, first home of the medical school. Originally built as a Baptist church, the building served between 1836 and 1846 as a post office. In 1847 the building became the first home of the newly organized (1846) University of buffalo Medical School.

The university, at first, and for many years, was only a medical school

Second home of the medical school

Second home of the medical school on Main at Virginia

Millard Fillmore statue at City Hall. Fillmore served as the first chancellor of the university from its first day until his death in 1874, although the job was more honorary than taxing. His principal duty was to bestow diplomas on departing graduates.

Dr. Charles Cary, dean of the medical school

Dr. Roswell Park moved to Buffalo from his hometown of Chicago in 1883 to serve as Professor of Surgery at the University of Buffalo. He was instrumental in the design of the Hospital Building on the Pan-Am grounds, but was in Niagara Falls, NY, when President McKinley as shot.

He threatened to leave the city unless the medical school moved to another location (High Street)

Dr. Roswell Park's monument in Forest Lawn Cemetery

Third home of the medical school at 24 High Street

Seymour Knox
The oldest institution of higher education in the county, the University of Buffalo, expanded from the medical school founded in 1846 to include schools of pharmacy, law, and dentistry.

In 1905, University Chancellor Charles Norton led efforts to establish a liberal arts college supported by city funds. He joined community leaders and educators to petition the city council for $75,000, but despite broad popular support, opposition arose. When councilmen insisted on majority control of the new college's council, Norton turned to private benefactors. Department-store magnate Seymour Knox, Sr., came forward and generously donated $250,000 for the establishment of a new college of arts and sciences.

Women's Educational and Industrial Union of Buffalo which became Townsend Hall (the University of Buffalo night school since 1923)

Hayes Hall
Acquired by the University of Buffalo in 1909.. When the structure was remodeled for university use, the Hayes bequest was honored in naming the building.

Dr. E. J. Meyer Building
Used for its seven years as a Christian Science reading room and music studio, the house has housed the practices of well-known Buffalo physicians ever since Dr. Nelson Russell and Dr. Clayton Greene bought the building from Meyer in 1919 (all three professors at UB medical school)

Crosby Hall
Crosby Hall originally housed the School of Business Administration (School of Management) before it became the studio spaces for the School of Architecture and Planning

Lockwood Memorial Library
The original building was the gift of
Thomas B. Lockwood (1873-1947) and his wife, Marion Birge Lockwood, in memory of Daniel N. Lockwood and George K. Birge. Thomas Lockwood, a Buffalo attorney, also donated his extensive collection of rare books to the new library.

Williams-Butler House / Jacobs Executive Development Center
in 1999 the center was acquired by Delaware North Companies, whose CEO, Jeremy M Jacobs Sr., then deeded the property to SUNY at Buffalo. Now named the Jacobs Executive Development Center

See also: Dr. Matthew D. Mann House (Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at University of Buffalo)

Color photos and their arrangement 2005 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index....|.. E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.