The oldest institution of higher education in the county, the University of Buffalo, expanded from the medical school founded in 1846 to include schools of pharmacy, law, and dentistry.
In 1905, University Chancellor Charles Norton led efforts to establish a liberal arts college supported by city funds. He joined community leaders and educators to petition the city council for $75,000, but despite broad popular support, opposition arose. When councilmen insisted on majority control of the new college's council, Norton turned to private benefactors. Department-store magnate Seymour Knox, Sr., cameforward and generously donated $250,000 for the establishment of a new college of arts and sciences.
Illustration source: Photo on display at the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Association Museum