Architecture Dictionary ...........................
Pronounced: BURR ll
A large rounded outgrowth on the truck or branch of a tree
Sliced and used decoratively in veneer.
Contains dark pith centers and many underdeveloped buds which produce a pitted "little eye: or "knotted effect" on the surface.
- Left illustration above: Maple tree with burl
- Photo: 2 trees with knots on Grand Island
- Right illustration above: Milo Baughman, Burl dining tsable
- Book matching burl walnut veneers, Victorian davenport - Private collection, Orchard Park, NY
- Primping mirror - Private collection, Orchard Park, NY
- Eastlake bed burl walnut headboard panel - River Lea, Grand Island, NY
- Burl walnut table top - from the Georgia Forman House
- Gilbert Rohde, Burl wood credenza
- Renaissance Revival chest of drawers - McCann House